The country house is built on a rock cliff circumvented by the Begues stream. This explains why its first name was Mas de la Roca (House of the Rock).
The first traces of its existence go back to 1164, when the farm house is referred by the mayor Urgelli (Urgell). The name of the cellar has been found as early as 1549, when the census mentions Antoni Seriol living in the “loco vocato la roqua” (meaning “the place named La Roca”). This explains why we still refer to the property as Masia de la Roqua.
Winegrowing has been always linked to this property. The first document identified explicitly stating its winegrowing activities reads as follows:
“Antoni Raventós declares having acquired from the Suriol family in 1678 all the houses or farms, as well as plots of land, vineyards, orchards and cultivated and barren lands, oak forests, mountains and plains.” Quote from Vicenç Carbonell Virella in June 2015.
Anyhow, we are certain winegrowing happened here much earlier.